Learn more about unique ThermoScan® technology and why Braun ThermoScan® is the no.1 brand among doctors
(Information provided by Dr. Chang Kit)
Cautions in temperature measurement
1. Use a new probe cover in each measurement
Dr. Cheung reminds when doing an infrared ear measurement; remember to use a fresh probe cover. Dirt accumulated on the probe cover will deter measurement accuracy which may delay the diagnosis.
2. Use of alcohol along cannot provide complete germicide
Some parents think that wipe of probe cover with alcohol can effectively kill germ. However Dr. Cheung stressed that complete germicide on an object can only accomplished through soaking or enclosed in disinfectant for hours. So alcohol wipe is not believed to give effective germicide.
3. Never re-use ear probe cover
Re-use of probe cover can easily bring germ inside the ear canal or tympanum which induce inflammation. Reused covers may be damaged and can hurt the infant’s ear canal. Dr. Cheung reminded in view of measurement accuracy and hygiene, use of a fresh probe cover is necessary.
When an infant has got a fever, the parents should look for a doctor’s consultation as soon as possible to efficiently diagnose the cause, and give proper treatment.
Steps to take care of an infant in fever
1. Parents to feed antipyretic prescription under doctor’s advice.
2. Parents may use physical methods to relieve infants discomfort, such as warm water bath and cooling paste to bring down the fever.
3. Regular temperature measurements are necessary. Close monitor on the infant’s condition until fever is brought down which normally would take 1-2 days.
4. If the fever persists for over 3 days, then the parents need to make revisit to the doctor to follow up.